Motor Insurance

Everyone who owns a car needs Motor Insurance as it is a legal requirement. But are you confident that you have the correct cover? Even minor mistakes or omissions can invalidate your policy and any claim; so great care must be taken when arranging cover.

There are three types of cover Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party only. The latter is rare and indeed not usually much cheaper. Most people will choose Comprehensive cover so damage to their vehicle is covered and this also provides glass cover.

Most of us are familiar with the no claims bonus system that reduces premiums for people who haven’t claimed in the last few years. This can also be protected (at extra cost and sometimes with a higher excess) so 1 or 2 claims in a set time will not reduce your discount. However insurers can, and do, still load premiums for poor claims history.

You must also select who you want to be able to drive you vehicle. Obviously young drivers attract far higher premiums. It is also essential to notify insurers when a provisional driver passes their test as this often increases the premium and failure to do so would invalidate any claim.

Drivers must disclose all accidents (even if non fault or on another vehicle) and convictions. Knowing the cost of claims can sometimes be difficult so it is best to check with your insurers how much they paid so you can disclose this accurately.

The excess often starts at £100 but you must be careful as some insurers show the standard excess and any voluntary excess you choose separately so you must add these together for the total excess. Young drivers or people with sports cars may also attract an increased excess making £500 or more not uncommon for these drivers.

The use of the vehicle is vital. Social, domestic and pleasure use will be standard for car insurance but commuting may be extra and business use must be included for each driver who uses it for their work.

If you tow a trailer you will need to disclose this for Comprehensive cover (unless you have separate cover e.g. on a caravan) as the policy only gives Third Party cover as standard.

A common misunderstanding is the cover you have when driving other peoples’ cars. It only applies on car insurance (not vans or motorcycles) and not all insurers provide it. Anyone under 25 or in the motor trade is unlikely to have the cover. If you do have the cover it is for Third Party only and not Comprehensive so there is no cover for the repairs to the vehicle you are driving. We recommend that this cover is not relied upon and the driver be added to the owners own insurance policy.

Modifications to vehicles must be disclosed to insurers even if it appears insignificant to you. Any changes to the appearance or performance of the vehicle will need disclosing and failure to do so can invalidate cover and/or the policy in the event of a claim. If in doubt please discuss your concerns with us.

Any previous bankruptcies, CCJ’s, criminal convictions or even fines must also be declared together with any previous insurance being declined, cancelled or refused.

Insurers have made a loss on motor insurance over most of the last 20 years so are currently trying to increase premiums. Please therefore talk to us about keeping your premium down by looking at areas such as your annual mileage and where the vehicle is kept overnight.

We deal with over 40 motor products so our recommendation to you will be from a wide range of insurers.

Our products generally have better cover than many online comparisons as these rely purely on price to be sold, so they often strip out covers or impose hidden excesses – it is often not like for like.